Architects & Engineers
The underlying concept to understanding RAYCORE Structural Insulated Panels ® SIPs is to understand its relationship to conventional framing practices. RAYCORE was intentionally designed to please architects and engineers alike with its simple and conventional design. Superior to conventional sandwich panel or stress-skin panel SIPs that rely on glue and OSB to create the structural envelope, RAYCORE SIP Panels utilize conventional structural members with high density closed cell polyurethane foam injection molded between the studs, all wrapped up in a radiant foil vapor barrier. Straight, square, stronger and more reliable with no delamination or creep issues, RAY-CORE SIPs ® will be the product of choice for your next construction project!
A Few Facts You Might Want To Know
- Energy efficiency is not on the "wish list" for home buyers today—it is on the ‘MUST’ list.
- A Neilsen US National Poll cited Energy Efficiency as America's #1 Housing Concern
- Consumers spend over 241 billion dollars each year on energy for home use.
- Heating and cooling account for almost half of the average home's utility costs.
- A typical U.S. family spends about $1,900.00 per year on utility bills.
- US Residential electricity prices have increased at a rate of 10-11% per year since 2006, and have recently grown to an increase of 13%.
- DOE states that homeowners may be able to reduce their energy bills from 10% to 50% by taking certain steps - One of the major steps being additional insulation!
The RAYCORE SIP Panel - SIMPLE
RAYCORE's superiorly insulating high density closed cell polyurethane foam insulated panels are 4' wide x 8-12' in length and use conventional stud layouts (2x4's, 2x6's, or 2x8's #2 Douglas Fir) with a class 1 fire rated polyurethane foam between the stud cavities, wrapped in a foil radiant barrier. The studs within the panel run lengthwise and can be 16" or 24" oc, or a staggered 12" o.c. to reduce thermal bridging. Choice of configuration meets the individual needs of the consumer. A true understanding of this basic structural layout can answer multiple questions going forward.
RAYCORE SIP PANEL
RAY-CORE SIP wall panels are subject to the same rules and limits as conventional stick framed walls and should be viewed as such in all engineering and architectural designs. As a rule of thumb, if you can do it stick-framing, you can do it with RAYCORE, (and vice versa). All window and door openings are still built on site with headers, king studs, and trimmers. See Master Spec Sheet.
The majority of RAY-CORE structural insulated roof panel and wall panels are identical in design. For typical application, RAYCORE SIP Panels are to be laid perpendicular to rafters or trusses and fastened to the rafters or trusses. For span and load capabilities, refer to your span charts and load tables. RAYCORE uses #2 Douglas Fir 2x4's, 2x6's, & 2x8's, 16" or 24" o.c. and to reduce thermal bridging offers a 12" o.c. staggered stud panel. RAYCORE has the ability to replace the #2 Douglas Fir lumber with engineered lumber for greater spans and loads. RAYCORE does not provide engineering per specs/drawings or provide certified advice on span or load capabilities. When required, this is left to the architect or engineer. Master Spec Sheet.
Technical Data and Design Resources
Visit our Technical Data page for a library of resources including design details and resources.