Frequently Asked Questions
RAYCORE SIP Panel Installation Questions
- Do your SIP Panels come sheathed with OSB or plywood?
- RAYCORE's Insulated Wall Panels and Insulated Roof Panels come wrapped in a foil radiant barrier. Upon framing of the wall, any voids or cracks in the seams should be sealed and all seams should be taped to prevent air infiltration. OSB or plywood is supplied and applied onsite if required to be code compliant, utilizing the practice of staggering the panel seams with the sheathing tying everything together to obtain the strongest and most airtight wall or roof possible.
- How do I install plumbing and wiring through the panel?
- Plumbing - RAYCORE never recommends removing insulation to install plumbing in an exterior wall and the practice generally is not code compliant, but if you must, contact a RAYCORE Tech Rep.
- Wiring - For wiring, simply use a router, sawzall or even chain saw set to a depth of 1 3/4" to cut out a channel where the wire will run. Drill holes through integrated studs where necessary. Install wiring in the slit and after inspection, backfill with canned foam. Fast & Easy! See video: www.YouTube.com/RAYCOREinc
- Do the windows and door openings come precut out of the panel?
- RAYCORE SIP Panels are not pre-cut for window and door openings. You pay only for the panel you receive and not the cutout material that is thrown away at the factory, saving you maybe up to 40 percent the cost. The panels will be cut-to-fit onsite, reducing waste and substantially saving in cost. RAYCORE SIP Panels are non-directional; thus when a cut for an opening is made, you may flip the panel around and use it on an adjacent wall or portion of roof. Visit the "How To Build..." page for additional instructions.
- How do I frame corners using RAYCORE?
- There are several ways you can frame corners using RAY-CORE SIPs ®. You can install a double stud on one wall and put the next panel (stud side) against it. Many framers choose to start with a "California Corner" and fill the void with scrap foam. You can also cut into the panel and insert a stud for a drywall nail surface. Visit the "How To Build..." page for additional instructions.
- How do I install sheetrock when interior wall meets the exterior RAYCORE wall (T's)?
- Remember to think standard framing when working with RAYCORE Structural Insulated Panels ®. Simply install the exterior wall sheetrock first and then apply the interior wall sheetrock, so the interior sheetrock pinches the other against the wall. Although by no means is it necessary, some installers may choose to apply construction adhesive or utilize drywall clips.
- How do I cut the panels?
- There is no need for hot knives or special tools. The most efficient way to cut RAYCORE SIP Panels is to use a large blade circular beam saw. If you don't currently own one, these saws are generally available for rent locally a small daily rate. The panels can be cut with a smaller saw by cutting from both sides of the RAYCORE SIP Wall Panel or Roof Panel.
RAYCORE SIP Panel Questions
- What panel sizes does RAYCORE produce?
- All RAYCORE SIP Panels come 4 feet wide and are available in Precut 8 ft. (92 5/8"), Precut 9 ft. (104 5/8") and Precut 10 ft. (116 5/8") along with full 8 ft., 9 ft, 10 ft, and 12 ft lengths. Three conventional framing thicknesses and corresponding R-values of panels are available: 3-1/2 inch (R26), 5-1/2 inch (R42) and 7-1/4 inch (R52).
- Will RAYCORE custom size my panels for my project?
- RAY-CORE SIPs ® are a modular product and are not available in custom lengths, widths or thicknesses. The panels are easily cut on the jobsite to the size needed for your project.
- Are the panels straight and square?
- RAY-CORE SIPs ® use a patented system of injection polyurethane molding using only the best quality materials and within a controlled environment. Each panel is produced straight and square and to exact measurements.
- Can RAYCORE use studs other than standard framing wood?
- RAYCORE Structural Insulated Panels ® can use a variety of structural members within the panel, including dimensional lumber - SPF or Doug Fir, LVL's, LSL's, and treated studs.
SIPs Foam Questions
- Does the foam in RAYCORE panels off-gas?
- No. RAY-CORE SIPs ® are made of only the highest quality materials. There are several formulas/mixtures that can be used to create polyurethane foam. Unlike spray-foam which is applied onsite where the curing process will take place over time, RAYCORE's high density closed cell polyurethane foam is applied in a controlled environment and cured onsite with applied heat in the manufacturing process, preventing customer complaints and exposure to off-gassing fumes and lingering odors.
- Does RAYCORE's polyurethane foam have formaldehyde?
- No. In 1987 the U.S. EPA classified formaldehyde as a probable human carcinogen and regulated the exposure levels to humans, essentially being outlawed. Since this time, no formaldehyde has been used in polyurethane foam used for construction. Today's polyurethane foam is very different from polyurethane foam from over years ago, a much cleaner, greener, safer product.
- Is the foam in RAY-CORE SIPs ® flammable?
- No. RAYCORE only uses the highest quality products, including one of the only Class 1 fire rated foams available. There is a strict flame and smoke spread requirement to meet this standard. Class 1 fire rating means the RAYCORE Panels it will char or can burn but will not sustain a flame. Remove the ignition source and the flame goes out. RAYCORE has gone to great lengths to meet this standard to provide the safest product available. See video: www.YouTube.com/RAYCOREinc
SIPs Payment Questions
- What are your payment terms?
- Because RAYCORE SIP Wall Panels and Roof Panels are custom made specifically to your needs, RAYCORE requires receipt of 50% of the product purchase price to begin production on the panels. The remaining balance is due upon completion of production and at or before time of shipment.
- Can I pay for my shipment when I receive it?
- RAYCORE is FOB shipping point. Payment in-full for the product and shipping is required prior to it leaving RAY-CORE's manufacturing facility.
- What forms of payment does RAYCORE accept?
- Intuit Payment Network - Easy Online ACH (preferred)
Visa, MasterCard, Discover
- Intuit Payment Network - Easy Online ACH (preferred)